Pilates is a body conditioning method that works by building strength from the inside out. Targeting the deep postural muscles that support and protect the spine at the same time as creating strong abdominal muscles. By helping to correct muscle imbalances the body is realigned and can move more efficiently and effectively.
Pilates benefits everyone. Men and women, old and young, those unaccustomed to exercise and those participating in other forms of exercise or sport. Pilates has gained increasing support and recognition from the medical profession, Physiotherapists, Osteopaths and Chiropractors.
Group Pilates Classes
Group classes are deliberately kept small ensuring clients are given individual advice and hands on attention throughout the session. We teach the person, not the exercise, allowing you to progress at the right pace for you. Modifications are given for those with specific back or joint problems. The combination of strengthening and stretching leaves participants feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
We are passionate about Pilates and whether you are looking to alleviate back pain, improve your sporting performance, need help following an injury or just want to improve your body awareness and feel better in yourself then Pilates is for you.
All clients are asked to fill out a screening form before commencing a session so that classes can be tailored to suit the needs of those attending. If you have an injury or have doubts about your physical fitness, please consult your doctor or physiotherapist and speak to us before enrolling. An initial one-to-one private session may be appropriate.
For those with specific goals or recovering from serious injury and in need of rehabilitative Pilates it is advised to try one-to-one private sessions at least initially.
Private sessions are a great way of learning Pilates faster and very accurately, enabling the instructor to tailor the exercises to your needs.
Private sessions are also useful if you attend a mat class but feel you would like individual help with exercises you find difficult; if you would like to build a home programme of exercise, for those who can’t make regular mat classes.
The benefits of Pilates are numerous
- Improve strength, flexibility and balance
- Tone and build long, lean muscles without bulk
- Challenge deep abdominal muscles to support the core
- Engage the mind and enhance body awareness
- Develop efficient patterns of movement making the body less prone to injury
- Reduce stress, relieve tension, boost energy
- Restore postural alignment
- Create a stronger, more flexible spine
- Promote recovery from strain or injury
- Increase joint range of motion
- Improve circulation
- Heighten neuromuscular coordination
- Offer relief from back pain and joint stress
- Correct over-training of muscle groups which can lead to stress and injury
- Enhance mobility, agility and stamina
- Compliment sports training and develop functional fitness for daily life activity
- Improve the way your body looks and feels